Thursday, September 21, 2006

Time Travel

What if it really was possible to time travel? I'll barrage you with the usual assault - if it was you, how would you handle it; what would you change; what would you do; where/when would you go?

I can't honestly say that I wouldn't participate in such a thing. I guess I'm one of the strong believers in the mantra that things happen for a reason. How would people that agree with that saying approach the literal encounter of time travelling? And even further, what exactly is time travelling? Can the absence of time be considered time travel? What if time stood still, could the absence of travelling through time be another way to classify time travel?

Seriously though folks, what would you change? It's like that movie Mr. Destiny... how one thing can change and it would redirect the entire timeline of someone's life. Would anyone be enlightened... or evolved... or self aware enough to identify that one instance that would remake the entire world? What if you were wrong?

I will admit that many times I have wished that I could go back in time with Mr. Military. Hold my temper for another 10 minutes and not go postal on him. Wonder what my life would be like today, if we'd still be together or if our fate had lead us down different paths. I wonder if we'd be married, if I'd have been able to convince him that there is a person out there in the world that loves him enough to have children with him. I wonder what our location would be, would we still be apart or would our persistence have prevailed?

What about the other guys? Would I be so arrogant to believe that not only could I have changed my destiny with Mr. Military but I could change my destiny with everyone else? That it wouldn't matter what they did within the relationships, that it would solely matter on what I did in the relationship that was the deciding factor. That I had the ability to change the entire pathes of not just one person but two.

Does that yet again bleed over into other people's lives? Can any one person be arrogant enough to believe that they have the power to change how another person lives their life? Can it be said that the actions that I take while driving down the street will dictate what will happen to an individual across town... across the state... or across the country?

Even though it would be ideal to say that you alone have the ability to dictate your destiny, I am a firm believer in the fact that you are a product of both your environment and your upbringing.

If anyone has ever read the book "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" then you'll understand where I'm coming from. That book, in all it's possible heresy, provided a new idea in my own mind. An idea that sparked other ideas and led a provocative succession of changes in my own point of view.

For instance... I was always raised with the idea that when you die, you are judged. You are chosen to be among the blessed and live in Heaven or you are declared to be one of the damned and live in Hell for the rest of eternity. What if that's not the way it happens? What if, in that instance of you dying, you are shown the previous events in your life that made you the individual you'd be known for? Would the be transporting your body to a different place, time travel, or your soul/spirit evolving into something different?

I guess what I'm asking isn't really as simple as I had set out to prove. If approaching the thought of time travelling in a completely literal way, how would you approach it? The next question I would be asked if approached in such a way would be if it was only possible to go backwards of if going backwards and forwards could happen.

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home